Friday, August 26, 2005

I've got a way with words

Two women came into the office today to pick up their fathers' cremated remains (or cremains, as we say in the biz). This does not happen too often and is usually pretty uneventful.

I would also like to preface this by saying when they hired me, they told me I would never have to deal with families. So I was completely unprepared.

So the daughter signs the paperwork and just starts bawling. I mean, all-out, body-shaking sobbing. I freeze. I have no idea what to do, say, etc...I feel like saying "I'm sorry for your loss" or "I know this is a difficult time" would be completely inappropriate.

I just stand there and shuffle some paperwork on my desk. Then the sister starts bawling. I'm such a moron I forget to offer them the Kleenex that are sitting on my desk and she has to ask for them.

The first woman asks for the box and I say: (drumroll please)

"Sure, pass it around!"

Good one, Catherine. Smooth move.

Thank goodness they were too grief-stricken to notice my incredibly lame comment.

Oh well. I guess it's better than, "He's in a better place now."

1 comment:

Missi-La & D-Love said...

They definitely don't teach you that "job situation" in school. Most likely they didn't even notice.

-m